The Wrate Building was built in 1853 by Charles Patten on the site where the old wooden general store building previously stood. It was known as the “Old Corner”. Specifically, when searching through the old land records, it is built on Lot 1 of Block 38 of the original town of Geneva.
The left side of the building housed Emil Simon’s dry goods store until 1935. While the right side of the building has always remained a tavern beginning with Anton Schott’s saloon, Fred Bessert Buffet, Willis Gladding Saloon and Roosevelt Inn and Café.